- California Rural Legal Assistance, mentioned in part 1 of this blog post, also assists individuals with civil rights issues. They are located in Santa Maria and can be reached at (805) 922-4563.
- The American Civil Liberties Union is a nationwide nonprofit organization that assists individuals in legal matters such as first amendment rights, equal protection, due process, and privacy. Their Southern California chapter phone number is (213) 977-9500.
- Importa is a nonprofit, immigration legal program that represents and provides legal counsel for low-income immigrants looking to obtain citizenship, DACA, adjustment of status, and asylum. They are authorized by the Justice Department. Their phone number is (805) 604-5060. Click here to view their website.
- Every Tuesday, a volunteer attorney appears at the Franklin Neighborhood Center in Santa Barbara from 4-6 to offer free advice on immigration matters as a part of the Legal Aid Foundation’s Project Outreach. Clients are seen on a first come, first serve basis, in fifteen minute intervals. They recommend calling before arrival to ensure an attorney will be present. Doors close at 4pm. They can be reached at (805) 897-2582 and are located at 1136 E. Montecito St.
Resources for Consumers
- The Consumer Debt and Bankruptcy Clinic offers free bankruptcy information and consumer debt advice for individuals who represent themselves. They are located in the US Bankruptcy Courthouse at 1415 State St. in Santa Barbara and are open on Fridays from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- The District Attorney’s Consumer Protection Unit investigates and prosecutes fraudulent and dishonest business practices. The phone number is (805) 568-2300. Forms and more information can be found online here.
Resources for Seniors
- The Department of Social Services helps seniors and dependent adults feel safe in their homes. The full extent of their services can be found on their website here, and their Elder Abuse & Neglect Reporting Hotline can be found at (805) 681-4550 for Santa Barbara, (805) 346-8303 for Santa Maria, and (805) 737-6020 for Lompoc. They are open from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. If a senior is in immediate danger, call 911.
- The California Senior Legal Hotline provides free legal advice and assistance to seniors and their families over the phone. They can be reached at (800) 222-1753.
If you are in need of an attorney, please contact our Lawyer Referral Service by email at email@example.com or by phone at 805-569-9400. Please keep in mind that our attorneys do not offer free legal advice and it is typical to expect average rates of $350/hr for legal services. However, some cases (personal injury, social security, workers’ compensation, etc.) may be taken on a contingent basis.