If you cannot afford an attorney, there are several local resources that can assist with various legal matters.
- California Rural Legal Assistance is a nonprofit organization that provides free legal assistance to low income individuals. They are located in Santa Maria and can be reached at (805) 922-4563.
- The Isla Vista Tenant’s Union is an organization that provides education on tenants’ rights and acts as a resource for Isla Vista residents dealing with landlord/tenant issues. Their phone number is (805) 968-6704 and they are located at 6550 Pardall Rd, Suite B.
- The Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County is a nonprofit organization that provides free legal services to low income individuals and seniors. They can be reached at (805) 963-6754 for Santa Barbara, (805) 922-9909 for Santa Maria, or (805) 736-6582 for Lompoc. Click here to view their website.
- The Legal Resource Center is located in the Santa Barbara County Superior Courthouse and is funded by the Legal Aid Foundation. They provide legal services such as information, resources, referrals, support, and educational material to low income individuals. They can be reached at (805) 568-3303 for Santa Barbara, (805) 349-1289 for Santa Maria, and (805) 737-5452 for Lompoc.
- The Family Law Facilitators are attorneys employed by the Superior Court that can help individuals represent themselves in family law matters such as child support, spousal support, custody, visitation, and divorce. This is a free service, but the Family Law Facilitator will not represent you in court. They provide classes/education so that you may represent yourself. They may be reached at (805) 882-4660 in Santa Barbara or (805) 614-6442 in Santa Maria. Click here to view their website.
- Every Wednesday, a volunteer attorney appears at the Goleta Valley Community Center in Goleta from 4-6pm to give free advice on family law matters as a part of Project Outreach through the Legal Aid Foundation. Clients are seen on a first come, first serve basis, for fifteen minute intervals. They recommend calling the community center before arrival to ensure an attorney will be present. Doors close at 4pm. They can be reached at (805) 967-1237 and are located at 5679 Hollister Ave.
- The Legal Aid Foundation also offers a 30-minute consultation with a family law attorney on Tuesday mornings by appointment only for those who qualify. They can be reached at (805) 963-6754 for an initial intake.
- Every Thursday, a volunteer attorney appears at the Westside Community Center in Santa Barbara from 3-5pm to give free advice on civil matters as a part of the Legal Aid Foundation’s Project Outreach. Clients are seen on a first come, first serve basis for fifteen minutes at a time. They recommend calling before arrival to ensure an attorney will be present. Doors close at 4 pm. They can be reached at (805) 897-2560 and are located at 423 W. Victoria St.